Mantis Style

Mantis Style

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

What time is it?




Punch in... Punch out... Don't go over 40... Mandatory OT... Things I've never worried about in the 16+ years I've been in the work force. My day more so revolves around, is the job done or at an acceptable stopping point? Even when I was an hourly employee, 40 hour work weeks never constrained my productivity. "Just clock me out at 40, whatever hours I put in beyond, we can work out in the future." That was me. 1, 2, 3 more hours is all I need. "Greens are starting to turn, I'm gonna go cool 'em down. Just two more sets of tees to aerify, I'm gonna stay to finish. If I get these breaks glued up today, we can open the isolation valve tomorrow and get that area watered." You know, that kind of crap... Not saying every single day is a 16 hour day, but if it has to be, I'm not shy... Plus I married a great woman, who knows I'm married to my job, so I hold little stress when I'm not spending quality family time.

When you love your job, time becomes an illusion. Wake up at 3:55am, shower, long shower, shave, brush teeth, clothes, grab phone/wallet/keys (always misplace the keys), get to the shop check irrigation computer, check pump station for faults, get guys going on the first job, check watch: 5:50am. 2 hours in a flash... Get the day going, problem arises, irrigation breaks, mower scalping/not cutting/not running, guy hungover pukes, lazy guy sitting in cart on his phone, sexy lady jogging... NICE! Refocus, check clock: 9:15am.. OH MY HEAD! Refocus, first job done, redirect guys, troubleshoot/solutions to issues, check with pro shop, stopped by patron for a quick chat, put a bow on solved problems, check clock: 2:28pm.... No lunch... I rarely ever eat lunch... Scout course for hotspots on a sharp summer day... Greens wilt... Start to jump from green to green hitting hot areas, run overheads on fairways and tees, check clock: 6:00pm & 3 texts from wife/daughter/ boss asking what I'm doing. Short response, run back to the shop to set up irrigation program, readjusting individual head run times for most efficient water possible, go back out to finish greens cooling before sun goes down, check clock: 8:30pm... Lock up shop, go home, kiss family, shower, brush teeth, set alarms (multiple incase one fails)... That's not everyday, But it just shows you that grass waits for no man... Can't turn grass off and wait until the next day to deal with it. So you might as well own it. One day at a time, little by little, things are great, then things get bad. Roll with the punches and take each day as it comes. Nobody puts this ideal to task better than Alice Morse Earle, who writes: "The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present." I love my wife, love my 3 kids, and love my job. Life is what you make of it. We struggle, but we struggle together... We want to give the world to our children, but the great thing is, our children just want us and that, my friends, is the truest meaning of life... I cherish you all, and my patience will reward itself someday... Work hard, Play hard, Love hard!

Good God I love Golf!

2 comments: